Thursday, April 22, 2010

Strawberries are Back!!

Since strawberries are abundant and inexpensive right now (at least where I am), I thought I'd share some easy ways to use strawberries, including a quick little treat you can make with your kids!

www.PerrysPlate.com

These White Chocolate Dipped Strawberries with Citrus Sugar are so easy, despite the long, complicated-sounding name. My soon-to-be three-year-old did most of the work. I wish I'd have gotten pictures, but I needed both hands. Actually I needed an extra one as a back-up. I think moms should grow extra (temporary) arms and hands for child-raising purposes.

The best part? You bite into one of these babies and it tastes like you put a bunch of Skittles in your mouth. Steve and I both thought so. The citrus sugar was so easy and delicious -- and such a simple way to dress them up!

Here are a few more of my favorite strawberry recipes:

Strawberry Frozen Yogurt --The best strawberry frozen yogurt I've ever had. You can sub any type of berry here.
Strawberry Jam Bars -- Ok, it's technically jam, but still . . . these little bars are surprisingly good.
Strawberry Sauce -- Great for a topping ice cream, cheesecake, angel food cake, etc.


White Chocolate Dipped Strawberries with Citrus Sugar
adapted from Bon Appetit April 2010

2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
8 ounces white melting chocolate, chopped
16 large ripe strawberries

Line baking sheet with foil or wax paper. Using fingertips, mix sugar and citrus peels in small bowl until sugar is moist. Stir chocolate in small bowl set over saucepan of barely simmering water until melted and smooth. Alternately, heat the chocolate in the microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring well after each, until chocolate is melted.

Holding 1 strawberry by stem end, dip berry into chocolate; shake excess back into bowl. Turn berry dipped end up and sprinkle with citrus sugar. Place on prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining berries, chocolate, and sugar. Chill until chocolate sets, about 15 minutes.

Print Recipe Text Only

1 comment:

  1. gosh i have never liked white chocolate, but now with the thought of SKITTLES tingling my taste buds i am gonna have to try this one out!! :)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please let us know you stopped by.