Saturday, December 26, 2009

Goodwill to All

It's the day after Christmas, which means that holiday music is suddenly off the airwaves, holiday cookies are suddenly fattening (because everyone knows that cookies are 100% fat free before Christmas, right?) and the threat of Santa watching no longer has merit, as your kids already have their presents.

So what do we do today?

In England and the commonwealth countries (as well as Hong Kong, Germany and Nigeria) today is Boxing Day, a holiday of goodwill. On this day, dating back to the middle ages, wealthier people would box up gifts, food and money to give to servants and laborers who have nothing. Today Boxing Day is still a public holiday, where people spend time with friends and family, as well as give to the less fortunate.

My girls are still hyped up on yesterday's sugar. They are still in their new pajamas, robes and slippers sipping hot chocolate from their brand new Disney princess porcelain mugs. Life is pretty good. But they are young and don't quite understand there there are people in this world, in this country, even in our town, who are less fortunate than us.

So what do we do today?

Well, today I'll be pulling out some boxes, one for each of us, to fill with perfectly wonderful things that we might not have as much love for as someone who might need it more. I know for a fact that I still have a few boxes of baby clothes that haven't seen the light of day since Annelie was still in a high chair - and I know I still have some prepregnancy clothes that will never fit again - I might be down to my pre-pregnancy size now, but my old shape just didn't hold up to two kids.. time to say goodbye, old clothes.

And my kids... they don't need four toy boxes full of half-played-with toys. They can learn to give to children who have very little, children who most certainly do not have a brand new trunk of dress up and more Barbies than the eye can see, like Gracie and Annelie now have.

Are you up to the challenge of finding some things to give to those in need today? Did you perhaps plan on filling up a donation box before the holidays but ended up too busy to do it? Hey, its not too late! Its never too late to give - or to show our kids how to give - to those less fortunate. Nothing beats the post-holiday blues better than filling your heart with goodwill and giving to someone in need.

xoxo,

2 comments:

  1. A great sentiment and a wonderful tradition to uphold. Thanks for the history lesson. Who knew? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I never, ever knew that was the significance of that holiday. Just after Thanksgiving, I did a sweep of the house and toy room and did the same...gathered up the toys and books in good condition and took them down to Goodwill. I can only hope they went to some children who really needed them.

    Weird...when we lived in Boston, just after Amelia outgrew some very little used baby toys that were practically new and still worthy of playing with, I found a shelter for abused women with children and asked if they wanted them. The director happily told me "yes", but when we delivered them, we were actually, at first, turned away saying "we only accept brand new toys". I was blown away. These were nearly new and in pristine condition. I had to drop the director's name before they'd take them. I know sometimes people try to pawn off junk, but it's a shame to see perfectly good toys rejected for no good reason.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please let us know you stopped by.