Thursday, May 10, 2012

What I Need

As I went to tuck my girls into bed, my 5-year-old proudly showed me a photo of herself attached to the front of her play hutch.
"Look Mom, it's me!"
"Yes, it is, but you don't have any tape.  How is it stuck there?" I asked as I pulled it off and found my fingers were all wet.
"I, just spitted on it."
Oh lovely.  "Ryah, spit is not an adhesive, please don't do that again."

Before having kids, I knew that all I wanted to have was boys.  A family of boys sounded perfect to me.  So when I found out I was having a girl the first time, I was actually pretty upset.  The second time around, I knew that given my husband's family history, a boy was likely not in the cards, but I still hoped.  Alas, no, another girl.

Don't get me wrong, I love my girls, but we all have an idea of what we hope our future family will be and when the picture changes, we can have all kinds of emotions.  I know there are plenty of moms out there who have all boys and want exactly what I have.  I've come to realize that you don't get what you want, you get what you need and sometimes the two aren't the same.

But I digress, because in actuality, I have all the "boys" I need, especially with my second daughter.  My little tomboy is thrilled to play in the dirt, excitedly shows me the slug in her hand that she's just found, is happiest when being active and is the funniest little ham.  There's also no shortage of gross-out factor with her.

The other night, I was getting the two ready for a bath and I turned around when I heard Ryah say, "Look Mom, I can itch my bum on the rug just like the dog in the movie!"  I couldn't toss that bare bum into the tub fast enough.  And seriously, ew.  I should know by now, that whenever Ryah starts a sentence with "Look, Mom," I need to be prepared. 

Did I also mention that destruction follows this one on a daily basis?  I didn't even have to child-proof my house for my first child, but nothing is safe when Ryah is around.  And I have the crayon colored walls, hole in the screen door, bent blinds, chewed on coffee table and new broken toy, to prove it. *sigh*

Now, in hindsight, I'm grateful that I only have one "boy," because I don't think the house, or my sanity could handle two.  I also think I have exactly what I need... a princess and a Ryah, and I couldn't be happier.




4 comments:

  1. I recently had my second boy, my first is 9 and he does not fall into your typical 'boy' categories. He loves to craft with me (well he used to when he was younger), loves dancing and gymnastics, he's creative and imaginative. He's very sensitive and cuddly. You never know what you may 'get' when you have kids, but God knows exactly what we need. Great to read what you wrote here about your two beautiful girls!
    I can't wait to see what this new baby boy of mine will grow up to be like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two daughters, ages one and three. They certainly keep us on our toes! What a great post! Well put!

    Kerri
    www.lylia.kitsylane.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Mom to three here--boy, girl, boy. I agree with you: we get what we need, although sometimes I wonder what I did in a previous life to earn the boy who has to be watched 24/7 lest my kitchen knives go missing, a window is broken, or my carpet turns into a muddy swamp. Not all kids are equally challenging. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the helpful info you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your blog and check again here

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please let us know you stopped by.