Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Ho Ho Hit Rintoo


(image from www.nickjr.com)

Who knew there was such riveting drama to be found in a preschool kids' TV show?  Last month, Nickelodeon aired an episode of Ni Hao Kai Lan where Ho Ho the monkey loses his cool and hits Rintoo the tiger.  I'd like to tell you that I made a point of making sure the kids saw it and learned the all important lesson about hitting (or make that not hitting), but the truth is, we saw it because, well, it happened to be on.  No matter...I was happy we were able to catch it.  So what did the kids take away from the episode?

SweetPea: "Momma, Ho Ho hit Rintoo!"

Me: "That's right sweetie, was that very nice?"

SweetPea: "NO Momma, it's not nice to hit."

She then starts singing the little "lesson ditty"..."Even when you're mad, hitting's always bad...use...your...words!"  Since seeing it for the first time, she's asked many times to see it again (thank you DVR), then immediately after, I have the pleasure of reenacting the "fight scene" with her.  Sometimes I get to be Rintoo and other times I get to be Ho Ho.  Whoever gets to be Rintoo has to repeat, in the most shocked voice possible, "HO HO...you...you HIT me!" and then sing the song.  It's all about the drama in our house!

Then...there was Lil Buddy's reaction.  It went a little something like this...

Ho Ho gets mad

Lil Buddy giggles

Ho Ho gets really mad

Lil Buddy giggles more

Ho Ho goes postal and hits Rintoo

Lil Buddy laughs hysterically for the next two minutes

Oy vey.  Being the ever responsible Mom, I tell him, "Bud, hitting isn't nice.  It hurts." and he...giggles some more.  Sadly, at two years old, seeing Ho Ho hitting Rintoo is no different for him than it was for me seeing Wile E Coyote get pummeled over and over again by Acme products gone wrong in the Looney Toons cartoons.  I guess we'll be holding on to this episode for a while, for a time where he can appreciate the lesson a little better!

After seeing the show and knowing how Nick Jr likes to turn their show episodes into online games and activities, it got me thinking...maybe they could make "Ho Ho's Punch Out", you know, like the old Mike Tyson Nintendo game?  Or...maybe not.

5 comments:

  1. Haha, so funny. Gracie would definitely react to that like Amelia did and Annelie... well wouldn't you guess it... she'd react just like Merrick. And then probably turn to Gracie and smack her, just so she can laugh harder. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! That's about how it'd go w/my Ladybug too -- and I'm here to tell ya, she packs a wallup! I think we'll stear clear of that episode.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it just me, or does anyone else miss the days of She-ra and Strawberry Shortcake?

    We're all about the reenactments in this house. It's like oxygen for Peri. And lately, all she wants to do is be Britney from Alvin and the Chipmunks. Yup, I have a "girl of rock 'n roll" up in here and she must perform at least 3 times a day. She's ready for her close-up....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw the episode last night on Nick Jr. (formerly known as Noggin). Needless to say we were all shocked and appalled. We just got home from evening carpool, and my kids are still talking about it. I typed it in google just to see it again. That hoho - he's always full of surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought Hoho should have learned the lesson that a 2 pound monkey should not hit a 50 pound tiger... because the tiger will eat him.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please let us know you stopped by.