Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Redemptive Qualities of a Superbowl Party

The Superbowl is on Sunday, so I hear. I've only seen the Superbowl once, as a teenager, while I writhed in misery on the couch from the stomach flu. I don't like football. I don't understand the appeal of football. I never know where the ball is, and there is way too much time where people stand around and talk. I do understand the game, though. Sort of. I'd prefer watching something a little faster paced. Like basketball. Luckily Superbowl parties have a lot of food. And women who come along hoping there will be other women there to talk to about non-football related stuff.

I happened to go to a football-themed baby shower last week, and tried out a recipe I'd had my eye on for a few weeks. It turned out pretty well that night, but munching on it the next day was even better. Then the day after that I finally told my husband it was in the fridge (shameful, I know). He pulled out a bag of baby carrots and finished off the rest. There are few things for which he will take his finger and clean out the container. This was one of them.



Roasted Garlic-Bacon Dip
adapted from Food Network Magazine Jan 2010

2 whole heads of garlic (not cloves)
1 T olive oil
6 slices of bacon
1 green onion, thinly sliced
2 c sour cream
1/4 c mayonnaise
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the tops off two heads of garlic, about 1/2 inch from the top, so most of the cloves are exposed. Lay the heads on a piece of aluminum foil, drizzle with some olive oil, then wrap them up in the foil so it's a sealed package. Put the foil package right on the oven racks and bake fore about 45-60 minutes or until the garlic cloves are soft and golden brown. Allow to cool slightly, then remove cloves from the heads by squeezing or using a fork.

Meanwhile, chop the bacon and cook in a skillet over medium heat until brown and crisp. (At this point you can reserve about 1 tsp of the drippings to add to the dip for an extra bacon punch. This dip already has tons of sour cream, mayo, plus you're probably going to eat it with potato chips. You might as well.) Remove bacon bits from the skillet and set aside.

Combine roasted garlic pulp, bacon and remaining dip ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to use. This dip tastes even better the second day. Serve with all kinds of chips, crackers or vegetables.

Makes about 3 cups.

Nat's Notes:
1. You can roast the garlic and crisp the bacon up to 24 hours in advance.

Print Recipe Text Only

3 comments:

  1. I dont like football either. That recipe looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A football themed baby shower? Wow, I would feel so out of place - hating football and only having girls... but WOW that dip looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "This dip already has tons of sour cream, mayo, plus you're probably going to eat it with potato chips. You might as well.)" This made me laugh so hard just now. Almost shot coffee out my nose. I've already gotten the thumbs up from my husband on making this dip for super bowl. My best friend also already got a copy of the recipe through email. haha. It looks SO good.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please let us know you stopped by.