Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Different Parenting Philosophies

In the years I've been a mom, I've learned that everyone has different parenting philosophies. Four-year-old Gracie and I are no exception...

----------

Gracie: I'm really nice to my baby.

Me [making lunch]: ....

Gracie: I'm really nice to my baby.

Me [still making lunch]: ....

Gracie: I'm really nice to my baby.

Me [responding only because I know that if I don't give some indication that I've heard her, Gracie will repeat the same sentence until the end of her existence]: That's great.

Gracie: I give my baby cupcakes with chocolate frosting.

Me: If you finish your lunch, you can have a cupcake, too.

Gracie: I give my baby cupcakes and she doesn't even have to eat her lunch first.

Me: That doesn't sound very healthy.

Gracie: But cupcakes taste better than lunch and my baby loves them, so she's really lucky.

Me: Well, I'm the kind of mommy who wants her little girls to be healthy because that is more important than cupcakes.

Gracie [not happy that her mother is such a killjoy]: Well my baby is luckier than me.

Me: I don't think your baby is very lucky. If she doesn't eat a healthy lunch, she'll get sick and die.

(Yeah, sometimes I'm a little harsh...)

Gracie: .... okay, maybe my baby will eat some fruits and vegetables first.

---------

So Gracie ate her lunch and her baby ate her lunch and they both got to have cupcakes, and nobody got sick and died, the end.

Oh, and also, I think my parenting philosophies are waaaaay better than Gracie's.

xoxo,

14 comments:

  1. Quit being mean Marisa and give her the Cupcake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was such a cute story. Gracie has a wonderful mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well handled mommy, sometimes we have to get a bit harsh to get the point across! Cute story! (=

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed out loud at the get sick and die part. I might have to use that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA! Just had to add in the part about the baby dying, didn't you? I was wrong about what I said before...you are insensitive :P I don't know about you, but by the looks of it, baby isn't doing so well on the cupcake only diet. She looks a little rough :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well handled... thanks Sasha, I like that! :)

    Lisa - try it! Although, I can be terribly insensitive at times (just ask Alyssa... she'll tell ya) and following my advice might not be the best idea!

    Alyssa - Yes, that baby has had a rough life ... but she's a trooper. And she did eat all her veggies, remember?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was paranoid every time my 3.5 year old dropped his pacifier on the floor or the ground when he was an infant.

    Now - if my three month old does the same thing, I usually pick it up, brush it off and stick it straight back in.

    I figure she'll never get Chron's Disease.

    (Is that a little twisted?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, Dean, no not twisted. :D

    I was like that with my second kid, too. Kid #1 was coddled and worried over at all times without fail. Then kid #2 came along and I was like, "ah, well, the first kid survived so I guess I can relax a little."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've used the "get sick and die" logic, too. LOL!

    I'm sure Bridget would totally agree with Gracie's parenting philosophy. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL, Melissa - Great 4yo minds think alike, after all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol...sometimes you just have to be blunt! 4 year olds are persistent!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha-Ha!!!! Do you have a secret microphone planted in my house? I swear this exact conversation happened at my house this week ; )

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please let us know you stopped by.