Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Leftover Reincarnation

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

One of my favorite things about Thanksgiving is eating the leftovers for days afterward! Instead of just reheating everything and reliving a nuked version of the original, try making something completely new!

I hope you didn't toss the ravaged turkey carcass! Toss it into a stockpot with a bunch of water and vegetables and make your own turkey stock. . . so you can make amazing, homemade Turkey Noodle Soup. I've made this for the last two years and decided to do it every year.



Alright, now what to do with the leftover stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy. . . got a tortilla? (I'm not nuts, please stay.) I wanted to blend the three together somehow, so I threw them into a tortilla with some grated cheese.

If it fits into a tortilla, chances are I'll put it there somehow. There isn't a recipe for this, just get a pan out and throw it together. :)



Can I just tell you how good this was? A Thanksgiving Quesadilla -- it doesn't get much better than that. It was so good, I immediately got up and made another one and scarfed it. Then I made one for Steve, wrapped it up in foil and stuck, piping hot, into his jacket to take to school for lunch. Probably kept him warm while he rode his scooter.



Alright on to dessert. Got a lonely piece of pumpkin pie left? Freeze it, stick it in a blender and make a shake out of it! I saw this idea on a friend's blog and like her, I think I prefer my pumpkin pie in shake form. Rachelle even went as far as to say that she makes a pie entirely from scratch, crust and all, to toss it into a blender and make these shakes.



Hmm. . . topped with some fresh, cinnamon-spiced cream? Amen, sister.



Pumpkin Pie Shakes
adapted from Fashionably Foodie

1 large piece of pumpkin pie
1 cup milk
4-5 scoops of vanilla ice cream
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (Yay! Use it again!)
Sweetened whipped cream & cinnamon for garnish

Combine milk, pie, ice cream and pumpkin pie spice in a blender. Process until smooth. Pour into mugs and top with a dollop of cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Nat's Notes:
1. Actually this is a tip from Rachelle: if you make these before you make dinner, stick them in the freezer and they'll be nice and thick for dessert later.


1 comment:

  1. Okay, now I'm REALLY bummed that I didn't host Thanksgiving because I have 0 leftovers!! I may just have to have round 2 of Thanksgiving, so I can make all of those with the leftovers!! They look awesome!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please let us know you stopped by.