Monday, November 16, 2009

Survival of the Cutest


Adorable aren't they? Okay, so I may be a bit biased, but you know you feel the same about yours. The point is, they have to be cute so they'll live another day.

After my Hellish day last week, I started thinking about the cute factor of children, and how sometimes it's the only thing keeping them alive. I've come to realize that it's a defense mechanism that's built in from the moment they're born because even when they're all red and squishy with misshapen heads, we can't help but "Aww" and claim they're the cutest little baby we've ever seen. And so it begins.

Eventually, that little red squishy creature turns 2 and then the fun really starts. Or, if you're "lucky" it'll start sooner, like 18 months, but hopefully that also means it's over sooner (like at the age of 17 instead of 18). It's the dawning of independence and they'll take all they can get. While this does have an upside, brushing their own teeth, potty training and dressing themselves (admit it, mismatched socks are a hoot!), there is a downside and they start taking liberties elsewhere too. They also learn the word 'no' and use it often. Ah, independence AND defiance, this just keeps getting better and better.

While my oldest child has rarely had to employ her cuteness, my youngest has no problem reaching her quota, usually by noon. She's one of those children who laughs when you put them in timeout, smiling and making goofy faces at you, not understanding the whole "you're in trouble and being punished" bit. I've now started putting her on a stool in the kitchen where she has to sit with her nose in the corner. She's not too fond of that, so hey, at least that appears to be working and I don't run the risk of accidentally giggling when she flashes her big cheesy grin at me.

Yes, I have to say, my youngest is still alive because she's so gosh darn cute. And she knows it. I've started documenting all of the times she uses the cute card (I LOVE my digital camera), and while I am angry at the time, I can look back now, shake my head and think, "What a stinker but look how cute she is."

3 comments:

  1. Yep. You know it. If I were that cute who knows what I could get people to do for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have a hard time keeping a straight face too! Mine is 19 months and so cute...it's so hard trying to discipline!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please let us know you stopped by.