Thursday, August 6, 2009

How to Roll Maki Sushi

As if I don't have enough online to keep me busy . . .

I signed up to do a recipe swap on Taste & Create this month. When you sign up, you're paired with another food blogger, you each choose a recipe from the other person's site, then blog about it. All of the blog posts are listed on the main page of Taste & Create. Anyone can do it -- you just have to have a food blog. I was paired with Nicole from For the Love of Food. (Who happens to be running the whole show.) After browsing through her site, I decided to follow her instructions on how to make sushi rolls. It's something we've wanted to do anyways, and it was fun. WAY fun. I want to have a sushi rolling party sometime in the near future. . .

So, we're not the most adventurous of sushi eaters. I tend to steer toward the type that has little or no raw fish. Partly because I've been pregnant more than I haven't in the past couple of years and raw fish was a no-no. And partly because it grosses me out a little. I got gutsy and bought some smoked salmon, though. I can't believe I've never eaten that stuff! It's so good!

After browsing through Nicole's other sushi recipes, I got some ideas for our fillers. Steve and I put together a bunch of combinations. I made some dipping sauce by mixing some soy sauce, minced garlic, ginger, sesame oil, rice vinegar, and crushed red pepper.



Here's an illustrated step-by-step for you. (Click on the photos to enlarge.) It's easy. If I can do it holding Ivy, you can do it NOT holding Ivy. Oh, and sorry you have to see so much of my E.T. fingers.




And here's what my other offspring was doing. Eating with one chopstick -- daring, indeed.


This was my favorite combo: smoked salmon, cucumber, and green onion.

Happy Rolling!


How to Roll Maki Sushi
from For the Love of Food

For the Rice:
3 Cups Sushi Rice
3 1/4 Cups Water

For the Sushizu:
1/2 Cup Rice Wine Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Fructose (or sugar)
1 teaspoon Salt

8 sheets of nori (dried seaweed)
bamboo sushi rolling mat

In a large pot bring the rice and water to a boil, cover, and let boil for 1 minute on high. Reduce the heat to medium and boil for another 3 minutes. Then, reduce the heat to low and let cook for 15 minutes. DO NOT REMOVE THE LID!!! Remove from burner and let sit, covered, for another 15 minutes.

In the mean time, place all ingredients for the sushizu in a small sauce pan and warm until the fructose and salt have dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside. Once the rice has finished steaming, pour the sushizu over it and smear around the rice with the back of a large spoon making sure you have combined the rice and sushizu completely. Do not use chopping motions with the spoon because you don’t want to cut the rice!

If you are going to use the rice right away you can leave the rice uncovered so it’s not too too hot to handle. If you will be using it in about 30 minutes to an hour, leave it covered to retain some warmth, but most importantly, to retain the moisture.

To roll the sushi: (see photos above)

Place a nori sheet shiny-side-down on your rolling mat. Cover with rice from side to side, but leave a 1-inch spacer on the top and bottom. Place your fillers on the edge of the nori sheet closest to you. Make sure the fillers are in front of the rice.

Start to roll with your hands first. Gently roll the nori with fillers away from you; using your rolling mat, nudge the roll forward, but keep it tight. Continue to roll the sushi roll forward and lift the rolling mat as you go so it doesn’t get rolled in. If any rice has squeezed out to the edge of the nori sheet (the top, not the sides), carefully remove it making sure not to tear the nori sheet.

Roll the roll closed. The warm steamy rice will seal the roll. If the rice has gotten too cold, rub some susihzu on the nori and press closed to seal. Squeeze the roll tight to ensure the edge is sealed.

Remove the bamboo mat and transfer your roll to a cutting board. Cut into 6-8 pieces. Enjoy by dipping into soy sauce and, if you like, some wasabi paste.

Makes about 8 rolls, which is enough for 4 adults.

Nat's Notes:
1. I used glutinous rice, which I think was a mistake. It was really sticky. Too sticky, I think. Also it wasn't as sweet as other sushi rice I've had. I think I'll add more sugar to the sushizu next time.

Print Recipe Text Only

Originally Posted Here

3 comments:

  1. MMM...sushi. I adore sushi, but like you, I don't do sashimi or any raw fish. My favorite is one that the sushi chef at our Kroger makes...it's basically a spicy shrimp roll (shrimp and cucumber) but he makes it "cajun" style where he puts some kind of drizzle on it that is SUPER spicy (I'm guessing there is some cayenne in there) and I love it. I always say I'm going to get off my butt and make some...but I always end up at Kroger having the guy make it for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I really really really want sushi. :: swoon ::

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am TOTALLY going to make this. Seriously, if you can roll sushi with a baby on your lap, I know I have no excuses!!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please let us know you stopped by.