Saturday, June 27, 2009

A fairly accurate introduction


So I poured myself a cup of coffee, cozied up here at the computer to say hello, put on my typing fingers, and then... baby. And then, toddler. And then, cat. So I went to the microwave, reheated my cup of coffee, and then... baby. And then, toddler. And then, husband. So I went back to the microwave one more time, put my mug in for another 45 seconds, came back to the computer desk to really get down to business, and then... baby, toddler, cat, husband... all at the same time. My coffee is cold and dead, but everyone is finally occupied and now I can officially introduce myself.

Hi! I'm Tia. The always distracted yet somehow together tattooed military Mama with food allergies and a heavy load of sarcasm? That wasn't a question. I don't know why I ended it with a question mark.

Am I really joining up with other mothers, and writing on a blog called the "Mama Dramalogues"? At what point in time did I even become a mom? Oh yes, that's right... sometime in December of '05, when a pink plus sign showed up on the "emergency" pregnancy test that had been hiding under the bathroom sink. I immediately stopped drinking, stopped smoking, and stopped living, as far as I was concerned at the time. I was unemployed, surviving on table scraps and ramen, and going nowhere. Fast forward through a thrown together at the last minute wedding on the sand, an Air Force recruiter getting ahold of my new husband, and a move halfway across country... and here I am.

My daughter, Eleanore Sue, was born in August of 2006. I decided I liked being a mother. I think I can even say I was kind of good at it. Who cares if carrying a baby warped my body and triggered a gluten intolerance, followed by a string of other food allergies. I had a daughter, and that was amazing. I had always said that if I was going to have kids, I'd want to have them close together. We tried for a full 12 months to get pregnant again before it happened, and then the day after Christmas this past year, came my Charlie. I cried when I heard I was having a boy. I've never had boys in my life. I'm an only child, so no brothers. No male friends, really. The thought of changing a little boys diaper scared me beyond words. The clothes weren't as cute. Boys like dirt and bugs. The whole idea in general was a turn off. But the second I met him... you know how it goes, right? I fell in love. The love that I felt for my son was like nothing that I had ever felt before. I love my daughter, of course, but this was somehow different.

Both of my kids have a citrus intolerance. Yes, as in, Vitamin C. What, a, pain. It won't kill them if they eat it, but boy you don't want to be around when the you know what hits the fan. And when I say fan, I mean diaper. On top of that, we're gluten free. That doesn't mean we don't eat cupcakes. We just don't eat orange flavored cupcakes (this we learned the hard way, btw) made with wheat flour. This makes for a complicated meal plan, and a battle at the dinner table. We cook all of our meals from scratch, we don't eat out (ever), and we really wouldn't have it any other way.

Now that you know a little bit more about me and my family, I can't wait to start sharing my ridiculous adventures with you. Thanks to Marisa for putting the Mama Dramalogues together. I still can't believe I'm writing for a mom blog, haha...