Sunday, October 11, 2009

A Day in the Life of a Mom With a Kid that Won't Nap

7:00am - 7:30am - The boys wake up full of energy while mom rolls out of bed groggy and still half asleep

7:30am - 7:35am - coffee, coffee, and more coffee thanks to the full pot that's waiting for me because I have an awesome husband who sets the timer for it to brew at 7:00am everyday

7:35am - 8:08am - breakfast, get the boys dressed and make sure Brayden is ready for school

8:08am - The bus comes and I'm down to one kid for the rest of the day

8:09am - more coffee

8:15 - Noon - cleaning, playing with Gage, cleaning some more, Internet-ing, cleaning, playing, and so on and so on ... you get the idea

12:00 Noon - Gage is a brat and is living up to the definition of terribly two in every way, shape, and form possible. Mom is tired too, still not having fully woke up yet from this morning. Its nap time.

12:10pm - 1:00pm - crying, screaming, playing around with his blanket, more crying, tantrums, desperate calls for a drink (aka stalling), sneaking toys into bed, still not sleeping

1:00pm - mom, who is in a crabby mood because of the events of the last hour and lack of sleep, finally gives up.

1:00pm - 8:00pm Gage is a total living terror because of his refusal to nap, mom is still crabby.

8:00pm - bedtime, the events of nap time repeat themselves, this time Dad is home, so its his turn to deal with the screaming 2 year old in the next room.

8:10pm - Dad can't get Gage to calm down, and I end up going in there anyways

9:00pm - Gage finally cries himself to sleep.


**********

That is pretty much my everyday, the only variation is on the weekends when Brayden is home from school, in which Gage's tantrums increase tenfold because there is someone here to play with and he knows it. He still needs a nap, a rest a break, whatever you want to call it. He has in no way outgrown the nap scenario, but now Gage, my once sweet little boy, knows how to fight that dreaded hour of each day and push all of mommy's buttons in the mean time.

And this drives mommy to drink!

Caffeine that is. I must have a constant stream of coffee flowing into my blood system at all times. In fact I'm pretty sure that if I were to give blood coffee would come out.

My kids wake up full of energy each and every day while I barely find the strength to roll myself out of bed. How they fight sleep and seem so full of life without (what I consider) adequate amounts of it I don't know.

I'm tired.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, I know that feeling. Amelia gave up napping over a year ago...within months of being potty trained. I gave up and I don't even try anymore. I'm hanging on for dear life to Merrick's naps. Once those are gone, I'm going to be done in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so relate to that! Alex is 2 and 1/2 and will nap OK most of the time, however, he will spend over an hour playing in his cot before finally going to sleep each night only to wake at 5am! As I work full-time I really hate the 5am starts.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please let us know you stopped by.