Friday, April 20, 2012

Teriyaki Stir Fry - Meals Under 30 Minutes

Looks yummy doesn't it? Oh, it was!

I've never posted any recipes on here before and I'll admit that I really hate to cook. Between the planning ahead to make sure I have all of the ingredients, to the actual cooking and then finally to the table where my efforts are met with, "Ew, I don't want to eat that"; I'm just really not that enthused about it. But if my cooking effort takes less than 30 minutes, I'm a little more okay with it. Especially if I think it's tasty. The kids can have bread and water. :oP

In any event, when met with the usual burning question of, "what's for dinner?", I pulled out this recipe that I haven't made in ages and realized, I really need to bring it back into rotation! It's simple, it's fast and once you have the ingredients on hand, it's great to make in a pinch. And I love complete meals where I really don't have to make separate sides. Yay for less cooking!!

This recipe will make 4 servings. Or 2 jumbo sized ones if your kids are having bread and water.

Ingredients
  1. 2 tsp sesame oil
  2. 1 cup cooked chicken or beef (I cheat and buy the Safeway brand of plain cooked chicken in the meat dept, love it!!) I've also used the Costco canned chicken in this
  3. 10-16 oz stir-fry or Asian blend frozen veggies
  4. 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
  5. 1 tb soy sauce
  6. 2 tsp rice vinegar
  7. 1/4 tsp garlic powder or 1 clove minced
  8. 1/2 tsp corn starch
  9. 2 tb water
  10. Toasted sesame seeds (optional)
  11. Jasmine rice or noodles
Steps
  1. If cooking rice, give it a 5 minute head start in the rice cooker. I usually make 1 cup precooked but if everyone wants rice, make 2.
  2. Heat sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add veggies and stir-fry for about 4 minutes, or until no longer frozen. In a bowl, mix teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, corn starch and water. Add sauce and meat to veggies. Stir fry over high heat until sauce thickens.
  3. Serve over jasmine rice or noodles. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds if you so choose.
  4. Enjoy!
Bonus Recipe!
My quick version of Asian noodles:
  1. 5 oz angel hair pasta
  2. 1/2 cup sliced green onion
  3. 2 tb soy sauce
  4. 1/2 tsp sesame oil
Cook and drain the noodles and rinse in cold water. Add onions, soy sauce and sesame oil. Toss together. You can buy Asian noodles, but they can sometimes be expensive. You may also want to slowly add these ingredients in and taste throughout to suit you.

Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Please let us know you stopped by.