Monday, January 4, 2010

New Year New You

The dawning of a new year usually means new year resolutions. I, for one, don't make official resolutions because I'm just setting myself up for failure. I do make goals, however. Which is the same thing but half the calories; commitment light, and hopefully as habit forming. Once a resolution is broken, it feels like it's over, but goals can always be remade.

To start off the new year, I thought I'd share my goals and how I'm trying to achieve them. You may have similar goals or you may be able to take some of my ideas and mold them into your own. Either way, it's going to be a good year, I can feel it. :o)

The number one goal is always weight loss, but the only way to tackle this one is with mile marker goals. My ultimate goal is to run 3 miles in 30 minutes, but I know it won't happen in the next month. So my first goal is to run 2 miles in 30 minutes. I've been trying for weeks and slowlyly bringing my number down to 32 minutes. I was so close! Today, after two weeks off, I went to the gym and did 2 miles in 27 minutes. Woo hoo! In order to keep progressing, my goal is to shave off a minute each time, so maybe tomorrow, I can do 2 miles in 26 minutes.

If you have a gym membership, awesome, make sure you get in a routine that works for you. If not, my favorite at home videos are Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred (the best 20 minute workout you'll get), Kathy Smith's Tummy Trimmers (quick and effective) and Your Personal Best with Karen Voight. Unfortunately, the last one only comes on VHS, but I still love it. If you have an hour, it's definitely a good one. It's all about routine and doing something is better than doing nothing. So if you only get in a 20 minute workout, that's still 20 minutes you've invested in yourself.

Another popular goal is saving money. I do not pay retail for anything that I want and I'm pretty conscience when it comes to things I need. Coupons are your friends and they like to be shown the town. :o) One of the best ways to save is by utilizing your local library. Signing up is free and checking out items is free too; what could be better? Before you buy that new book/dvd/cd, check it out from your library first. Consider it your own personal test driving facility. How many media items have you purchased hoping they were good? The library is one of the best ways to try before you buy. And if yours is online like mine is, you can put things on hold and they'll notify you when they're in and you can pick them up.

Are you a fashionista who wants to look like a million dollars without spending it? I highly recommend shopping at 6pm.com. Seriously, I am in love. Make sure you sign up for the daily deal email so you don't miss out on the really deep discounts and sales. You'll find high end name brand and even couture items like clothing, shoes, watches and accessories.

Lastly, I want to make it a goal to try new things. The local parks and recreation has programs going on all the time. From art, to music, to sports. If you've ever been interested in trying something, by all means, go spend $30 and take a once a week belly dancing class. Which I've done, by the way; lots of fun! Your library might also offer some free classes. I took a jewelry making class there a month ago and learned a LOT. I think I may try their origami class too. In any event, this also ensures that you are doing something for you and you may find a new hobby in the process

Too often we fall into a rut of being a wife and a mother, but we are so much more than that. You're still you and you need to do things that are just for you and no one else. Whether it's a girls night out or a pottery class, make sure you take care of yourself. One of the best quotes I've heard was "If you take care of you first, you'll have more of yourself to give." And I believe that.
Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Milestones are an awesome way to go. I'd love to get my 5K under 30 minutes, but with my ankle being a mess, getting it back to 35 minutes would be nice! I'm still stumbling along at 40-45 minutes...so... We want to take the kids to Disney World this year...so saving money is high on the priority list too. I'd like to learn something new this year...but haven't decided what that is yet. Then again, learning to sew better might be a better short term goal!

    I'm on a weight loss crusade...so I'll be right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 100% with you on forsaking resolutions for goals, because usually by January 5th my resolutions are in the dumpster and are already forgotten.

    and OMG 6pm.com is greatest website ever!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please let us know you stopped by.