Wednesday, September 9, 2009

But Whyyyyyy?

I was well warned about the incessant questions stage of a preschooler's development. I also saw parents roll their eyes when talking about their own kids reaching that annoying little milestone. I knew about it, I expected it, but I always just shrugged it off and looked forward to answering my inquisitive little genius' questions.

I underestimated the stage greatly.

Gracie's questions have been going on for sometime now, but lately they have been fired fast and furiously. I was prepared for questions like, "Why is the sky blue," or "Why is the grass green?" But instead, Gracie leans more toward the ridiculous.

"Is that a girl? Is she a tink? Whats a tink? Is that boy a tink?"

-or-

"What time is is? Is it forty-thirty o'clock? Is it nuffernatter o'clock? Whats nuffernatter? Does that mean its bedtime? Is is bed time o'clock?

-or-

"Is that the color orange? Whats orange? Orange starts with G. Does orange start with G? Is orange a tink? Is it orange nuffernatter o'clock?"

And it goes on and on and on, all day and all night. So far, Gracie doesn't understand the rules to the "No Questions" game.

And of course, in perfect Gracie fashion, when my eyes are bugging out of my head and the veins are throbbing in my temple from the insanity of all the questions, she chooses to ask, "Do you love me, Mommy?"

Lucky for her, I do. Even with all the questions.

Originally posted a year ago on my personal blog... Now, at the age of four - Gracie's questions have not changed one bit!

xoxo,

3 comments:

  1. Yep, I'm in the middle of that. "mommy, what's his name? Why? Is he sad? Why?" Stupid me...I get about 10 "why"s deep before I realize it's a no win situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily my 3 year old daughter isn't that bad yet. My 13 year old son, now that is a different story all together. No answer is good enough. You will give an answer and he'll say, but why is it like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, by the way, I'm following you as "Adriana" and not "Only me".

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please let us know you stopped by.